Saturday, September 12, 2009

Alot's Been Going On Lately...


I have entered the THIRD TRIMESTER and our little guy is now shares the weight of a Chinese Cabbage at 2 1/4 POUNDS! It's amazing to think I am carrying around something that doesn't weight ounces anymore... this time is going by fast now, just like everyone says.

I attended my first La Leche League meeting the other day. It was actually a little weird for me. I say this because the group is so new and I expected to learn something, but I felt I could have taught the class. I think the root of the problem (not that it's a problem) is that my mom purchased "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" for me BEFORE we were even pregnant and I've read it now twice. I am SO committed to Breastfeeding, I refuse to be conquered because of my lack-of-knowledge. Also, I thought the classes were for newborns and younger children but the instructor had her 4-year-old son in attendance and he was very disruptive. Luckily, there's another LLL class in my area, so I'm going to attend this one also so that I can decide what the best option for lowercase g and me is.
Graham and I attended our first Bradley Class with Natural Beginnings in Richardson. I was actually nervous about attending this class but also excited to be educated about the process of labor. The Bradley Method is also called the "Husband Coached Childbirth" so the class is really for Graham because I'm pretty sure I'm going to forget anything I've learned while in the thick of labor. Bradley is also the opposite of Lamaze; Lamaze teaches you to focus on quick repetitive breathing and Bradley teaches you to use deep-breathing and relaxing techniques to get you through contractions. So, the class is six-weeks and we didn't get to attend the first class but we can make it up. But, we really enjoyed it! Right now we are trying to work on relaxing together. Graham and I DO love on each other (such as hugging and cuddling) but Bradley suggests that the husband constantly stay in contact with their wives and feel out any tension during labor. This was hard for us to do because Graham and I wrestle and play together so much... in relaxation, I thought he was going to hurt me by using a pressure point or sticking his fingers in my ribs. He didn't, so it will take us a little while to get where I can relax WHILE Graham is touching me.

I also had to go see my midwife yesterday, unexpectedly. I came down with a UTI and they are concerned that I am going to in pre-term labor (I guess some women can't tell the difference between labor and a bladder infection?!). It's scary thinking that pre-term labor is a distinct possibility for us now (because of how many weeks we are) but it's also reassuring to know that little g will be with us whenever he is ready. I'm also a little comforted in knowing that if our little one was to join us early he most likely will be O.K. The hardest part would be leaving him in the NICU. But, on to some positive thoughts!

Our first shower is coming up very quickly and we're SO excited. We can't wait to see everyone and celebrate with them!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment